Our History

After 80 years and hundreds of successful projects, our clients continue to trust Adjustable Forms for the most challenging concrete projects.

Adjustable Forms moves forward with a history rich in sustained growth and performance in concrete construction. From its humble beginnings as a concrete formwork subcontractor, to completing some of the most prominent concrete structures in the country, we strive to maintain our status as leaders in our field, committed to producing the finest concrete construction available.

2017
2014
2013
2012
2010
2009
2003
2001
1999
1998
1990
1986
1983
1982
1970
1966
1963
1957
1949
1945
1935
1934
1920

2017

Adjustable Forms announces Eric Lindquist promoted to President. James Lindquist assumes position of  CEO.

2014

After outgrowing the office and warehouse facility, Adjustable Forms completes their state of the art new headquarters on same site in Lombard, IL.

2013

Construction of new state-of-the-art office facility begins. Adjustable Forms acts as General Contractor

2012

Adjustable Forms becomes the first contractor in Chicago to successfully model and fully detail a reinforced concrete frame in full 3D in a BIM environment with the completion of Clark & Grand Hotels. The modeling included both fabrication-level rebar detailing, as well as shop drawings produced directly from the model.

2010

As the industry began to shift from a two dimensional drafting environment to three, Adjustable Forms begins utilizing Building Information Modeling as an integral part of its operations.

2009

Concrete Construction Magazine recognizes Adjustable Forms as the 9th largest commercial concrete contractor in the United States, with revenues exceeding $100 million. The previous three years, the company completes 19 high rise concrete frames in the Chicagoland area.

2003

Adjustable Forms completes Northwestern University Ford Engineering Design Center, its first project recognized by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) as LEED® Silver. This project marked the first of many LEED Certified projects completed by the company, and the start of a commitment towards sustainability in all aspects of our business.

2001

Catering to the expanding concrete services it provided, Adjustable Forms purchases its first concrete pump and placing boom. Over the next decade, the company owns and operates one of the largest fleets of high rise concrete placing equipment in the Midwest.

1999

The company is awarded the River East Center, a 60 story condominium, hotel and parking structure. This marked Adjustable Forms’ first project as a full service concrete contractor. Particularly impressive is that the project is not only the first foray into placing and finishing concrete, but that the project was the third tallest residential structure in the country at the time of construction. The project was a tremendous success, and solidified Adjustable Forms as a major player in the concrete construction industry.

1998

Recognizing a shift in the Chicagoland market from separate formwork and placing contractors to full service concrete, Adjustable Forms begins bidding projects offering comprehensive concrete services. This marked the first time in our 70 year history that we supplemented our vast knowledge of formwork with concrete placing, finishing, hoisting, and reinforcing steel.

1990

Work commences on Comiskey Park, home to Chicago’s White Sox.

1986

Adjustable Forms grows its office and administrative staff to support growing work in Chicagoland area.

1983

Elmer H. Lindquist retires from Adjustable Forms after 38 years of service.

1982

In an effort to consolidate both office and equipment into one location. Adjustable Forms breaks ground on a new facility in west suburban Lombard, Illinois. Pictured are Elmer H. Lindquist and James E. Lindquist during construction.

1970

Upon graduating from the University of Minnesota in Business and working summers as a laborer for the company, James E. Lindquist begins his career at Adjustable Forms in Chicago (pictured right with Elmer Lindquist).

1966

Adjustable Forms provides concrete formwork services for one of the most celebrated skyscrapers of all time, The John Hancock Center. Rising 1,476 feet over the Chicago skyline, construction of the innovative structure pushed Adjustable Forms to the forefront of the concrete industry.

1963

Carl Sandburg Village is built on Chicago’s Near North Side

1957

The mid 1950s brought the most rapid geographical expansion for Adjustable Forms in its history. In the decade alone, Adjustable Forms performed concrete formwork services in sixteen states. Notable projects included the Los Angeles Furniture Mart and Veteran Administration Hospitals in both Florida and Alabama.

1949

Adjustable Forms constructs one of the most influential highrise structures in the world, the Ludwig Mies van der Rohe designed 860-880 North Lake Shore Drive. The twin 26-story apartments would open up the company to a segment of the market that would later become its trademark-high rise structures.

1945

After graduating from the University of Minnesota in Civil Engineering and fulfilling his Naval service abroad, Lieutenant Commander Elmer H. Lindquist (pictured right) joined Adjustable Forms. His responsibilities included both sales and engineering out of the Chicago office.

1935

Recognizing a challenging construction environment in Minnesota, the Adjustable Joist Company made a fateful decision that would allow it to grow to a level unimagined by its founders. Tickle and Geneter created a subsidiary concrete formwork company in Chicago named Adjustable Forms, with the intent on capturing a piece of the robust construction market in other regions of the country.

1934

Realizing the potential of his newly acquired patent, R.F. Tickle teamed up with partner Harold Geneter to form a new concrete formwork company, fittingly named Adjustable Joist Company. Like Stambaugh before him, Tickle and Geneter struggled to get off the ground with their new company. Work became scarce as the construction industry suffered with the onset of the Great Depression.

1920

While working in Minneapolis for a division of Republic Steel called Truscon, a young engineer named Russell W. Stambaugh develops an innovative new idea for the concrete construction industry. He designs and patents a formwork truss with a combination of adjustability and strength, while minimizing overall weight. While developing the idea, he started performing concrete construction. While the idea had merit, his truss did not achieve the success he had envisioned. Stambaugh sold his patent to co-worker R.F. Tickle.

Let Us Help You Build Your Next Project!
Contact Us